History

Hope House Addiction Services (Hope House) is the oldest, and now among the largest residential treatment programs in Massachusetts for adults with substance use disorder (SUD). Hope House was informally founded in 1956 by the late Jack Donahue, who began by taking up to three recovering alcoholics at a time into his apartment in the South End of Boston and providing them with support and shelter. Hope House was incorporated in 1965 and grew to include five buildings in the South End.

Hope House was the setting where, in 1972, former Governor Francis Sargent signed a law that decriminalized public intoxication and required police forces to help get intoxicated individuals into treatment.  Hope House is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities (CARF International), and our programs are licensed by the Massachusetts Department of Public Health (DPH).

In 2009, having outgrown our South End location, Hope House built a new facility at 8 Farnham Street in Boston. As a result of having expanded space, Hope House is now able to offer enhanced services, including an outpatient treatment center, and we are able to house our administrative services under one roof. Our 35,000 square foot treatment center is located in the Crosstown Section of the New Market neighborhood of Boston, on the Roxbury/South End line.